Monday, May 21, 2012

Random Update

So Joe graduated from Kindergarten on Friday. And this is where I reveal a bit of my 'bad mom' side. I could really care less. Although I understand that these kids probably get a kick out of such an event, I was perfectly content to miss my own high-school graduation and really dread that I will probably have to sit through one more Kindergarten graduation, three 5th-grade graduations, and three high-school graduations. Ugh. If they could shorten them up, I wouldn't complain so much, but listening to the names of 120+ kids.... So, Finley, Joe, and Z: When you read this 10 or 20 years down the road, please know that I suffered through these things because I love you and try not to take it personally if I rolled my eyes or heaved great sighs of ennui. I AM proud of you, but could do without the ceremony.
 And this is also what happens at the end of the school year. The kids bring home the contents of their desks (and who knows what else) and it gets dumped on the art table for me to sort through. Would it really be so bad just to scoop all of it into a large trash can or would I risk emotionally damaging my children?
This weekend, Chris and I managed to get a little more work done on the house. It's been hard to get motivated this spring, since there are a lot of tedious, little, detail issues to work through. But Saturday, we got the siding the rest of the way up on the front, right side of the house under the soffitt, and finished the little triangle piece above the right side porch beam.

 This week I also worked a little on what will be the center of my perennial garden, laying some of the stone that will encircle the bed. There are plenty of rocks around here, but not all of them have the nice, squared off shape that makes building easy, so I hope the rest of it will turn out well. If you could see what I have envisioned...
I'm learning to be more content and patient with the process of working toward what I want this place to be.  After all, it is hard to appreciate the things that come instantly or easily.

No comments: