Saturday, August 25, 2007

Nest

A year and a half ago, my neighbor up the street, Erika Johnson, who happens to be an incredibly talented artist, invited serveral women to be involved with an installation piece she did for a show at Vanderbilt University. I was lucky enough to be included.


Erika's piece included several cages and nests made out of wire that represented both the joy, the comfort, and also the restriction that we experience in relationships. (Forgive me, Erika, if I am butchering this.) I won't even attempt to describe what it looked like, but it was fabulous. Anyway, I helped out by building a nest.


She then made 'prints' of our nests using some sort of weird photographic process of which I can never remember the name. She gave mine to me for my birthday. I have finally framed it and hung it above our fireplace. I am very excited about it...



For those of you that live in or near Nashville, she has a few more installations that will be shown later this fall and next spring. Keep an eye out. It will be worth your while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was your nest made out of wire, too?