Friday, August 15, 2008

The Hohenwald Adventure


We packed ourselves into the van this morning and drove the hour and a half to Hohenwald, TN to look at a property that Chris saw for sale online.

It was a nice, peaceful drive, past fields of corn and soybean, and one small field of tobacco. I wondered how much of the corn was genetically engineered by the infamous Monsanto corporation. We stopped at a gas station in Hohenwald to use the facilities before meeting the realtor.

The property was about three miles out of town. We drove past several small houses and a lot of broken-down vehicles before we turned past a set of rusting household appliances. We then crossed a dry, rocky creek bed and found ourselves on the property we had come to see. Just on the other side of the creek was a level two or three acre field with fairly rocky soil.

Broken-down lawn tractors, parts, tools, toys, the ever-present trampoline, and beer bottles greeted us as we approached the house. The house was much smaller than I expected (it was hard to know what to expect from the photo), and I won't bother to tell you what it was like inside the house, other than to say I would have been afraid of jumping for fear of hitting my head on the ceiling. I love old houses, and have a pretty good eye for potential, but the only redeeming quality of this house was the redecked front porch.

After touring the house, we all piled into the realtor's nice, new, 4-wheel-drive, crew-cab Chevy to see the rest of the property. The majority of the property sat behind the house on a hillside and top of a ridge. From what I gathered from the sales history and the state of the land, someone bought the property three years ago, had it clear-cut to make money off the timber, then resold it to the current owner. A few old oak trees were left standing on the ridge, and there were a few big trees around the house itself. Here and there, pines and tulip poplars were attempting to make a comeback. It all seemed incredibly unnatural. There was a 'pond' below the house, but there wasn't much but some slimy sludge left due to the dry weather.

The best feature was the 200 foot livestock/horse barn.

As we drove away in search of some place to eat lunch, we discussed things... Chris trying to point out all the 'positive' aspects of the place as I tried to bring him back to reality.

All afternoon, I have been asking myself what it is I am looking for. I am wrestling with the reality of what we can afford, what I am envisioning, the sacrifices I know we would/will have to make. At least we know that this wasn't the place.

I only hope that whoever buys it will let the trees grow back.

1 comment:

Shyla said...

At least you got to spend time together :o)

Glen and I still laugh about this "great property with a charming old farmhouse and two ponds" that we went to see together in Ashland City before we were married. You could see the sky through the charmiing roof, and if giant mud puddles qualify as ponds then there were definitely ponds. He was SO embarrassed that he took me to see it.

Oh well.