Thursday, August 14, 2008

Life Here on the Ranch, I mean...

Zivah is not sleeping. Last I knew she was crying due to some intestinal issues. Holding a screaming baby is not nearly as wonderful as holding a sleeping baby, so I have handed her off to my husband while I do other things.

I have ventured outside a little to take some peeks at my gardens. Disastrous. Most flower beds have been heavily infiltrated by the enemy, and will require lots of time and energy to get the situation back under control. In a few cases, I think it will be best to evacuate the citizens to a refugee camp, while I just annihilate the evil therein. Why the warrish rhetoric? Perhaps I'm hearing too much about Iraq and Georgia.

One good thing: the volunteer cherry tomatoes that pop up every year are deeelisheeous.

Joe is a whiz at urinating in the toilet. Pun intended. He has fantastic aim. Too bad he doesn't care to try all the time. The diaper remains too convenient, and I not quite up for the challenge yet, either. I am also hesitant to make the switch to undies, since he doesn't seem to want to put #2 in the potty.

School has started. In a matter of three weeks, I learned that we would be homeschooling Reanna again, ordered her books, and outlined the next two months worth of work for her. I also started Finley on some kindergarten work, and walk her through a few worksheets every day. I think she is enjoying the attention.

Chris started looking at properties online again, and found one near Hohenwald, TN that he took a liking to. 30+ acres, 20 of it supposed good pasture land already fenced. A pond. A house (that needs TLC, of course). A barn or two... He went so far as to call the realtor to set up an appointment to see the property. I don't think I am quite ready to take the dive, yet. But I am willing to humor my husband. We are driving the hour and a half to Hohenwald tomorrow. I guess it will make for a good outing.

I recently purchased two books for my reading pleasure: Five Acres and Independence and From My Experience:The Pleasures and Miseries of Life on a Farm. The latter is by Louis Bromfield. He has readily become a favorite to read. I hope to relate the reason at a later time.

I have added a new feature to my blog. Since having a newborn gives me less time to post, I figured anyone who reads my blog might get tired of checking it (daily, I'm sure) to see if there is anything new. Instead, you can sign up to receive any new posts via e-mail. Just type in your address in the box to the right, there, and follow the directions...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be interested to hear about the trip to Hohenwald!

I was visiting a friend today, in her townhouse in an urban suburb. She told me that this summer she is signing up for a service called "rent -a-chook" (chook=chicken). For 100$ the company sets up up with two chickens, and their cage, and will take them away at any time for you. For $300 you can buy the chickens and their set-up (a lot for chickens, I know!). The thought is that people can try out having chickens, with the backdoor option of giving them back if it doesn't work out.

I was just enthralled with her scheme to get fresh eggs, dispose of green matter, and get manure (along with her worm farm), all right in the city with apartment blocks rising around her!

So as you're thinking about moving out, and getting a farm, I'm getting into using a stamp of land in a sustainable way. So cool that you can do this kind of stuff in an urban backyard...it is easier if you don't have a newborn though!

Shyla said...

Yes, let us know how the trip goes. I of course would love it if you moved out this way...hint hint :o)

Enjoying those sweetly intense newborn days? The photos sure look sweet. Can't wait to meet her!