Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Letting Go

Sometimes you have to let go of something in order to free your hand up for what you really need.

I have attended the same church for the 10+ years I've been in Nashville. I've watched it grow from a group of about 100 meeting in what seemed like a cavernous gymnasium to another renovated gym where not every one can find a seat on a Sunday. Ten years ago, it wasn't hard to learn every one's names. Now, I don't know the names of 80% of the people there. I am what I would consider an extremely loyal sort, and don't like change a whole lot. That said, it was difficult for me to consider a change of venue after struggling for months to attend the church where we no longer were sure we belonged.

God had been talking to me about the importance of family and cultivating the relationships that were close at hand. A desire was brewing to find community closer to home. And God was also talking to me about not desire things of the past but turning my heart to the things meant for the current season.

I had visited the church that one of my brothers and his family had recently started attending, and finding that another of my good friends went there as well, we decided to give it a whirl as a family. The first miracle came when Joe just wandered into the nursery without a sign of anxiety. We found our seats next to my brother and his family, and as I sat in the service, the morning sunshine streamed through the high, arched windows of the former convent, one of my favorite hymns was strummed out on an acoustic guitar, and I was overwhelmed by peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a hard thing to leave a place where you have so much God history. Be blessed as you enter a new season!

Shyla said...

We are going to miss you guys, but it is exciting to move into a new season when it is filled with peace and you know it is a good fit for your family.

Blessings and blessings be poured upon your family!!

Anonymous said...

Having had to change churches a number of times, I know the pain. But I have learned that you do not LEAVE that part of God's family, but GAIN new family members along the way and, most importantly, God has a new chapter to write in my life by the move.

Anonymous said...

Just because a chapter has ended doesn't mean that a lot of the same characters don't pop up in the next chapter. Expect a few characters to stick through to the end of the book. :0)