Monday, December 29, 2008

Util


Util (you'-tl) adj. 1. the epitomy of being useful and practical 2. describing one who greatly values the useful and practical things of life


It is a word that a friend of mine came up with. When I registered for a step stool for my wedding, she bought it for me, because, who else would register for a step stool but me?


Which brings me to squash.


I never used to like squash. Even though my mother swore it was 'just like candy,' I never could agree. Something about the texture of a chunk of squash just made me gag.


Fast forward twenty years. Enter butternut squash soup. I discovered a recipe that is easy, good, and in the process of pureeing, changes the texture. I also found out that winter squash is one of those vegetables that 'keeps,' meaning that if I store it in a cool place, it won't rot for months. How fantastic is that? AND (I am so proud of myself) I was able to puree some leftover squash, freeze it in ice cube trays, and fed Zivah her first bit of veggies today with a cube of it.


So I have put squash on my highly honored 'util' list along with onisies, step stools, and boots.

No comments: