Monday, March 23, 2009

Another Day in the 'Dirt'

This morning, after an especially long soak in the shower while I thought too hard about things that probably don't matter, I was ready for therapy.

Thankfully, Zivah is taking a regular morning nap, so as soon as she drifted into dreamland, Joe, Fin, and I headed out. My goal was to plant a row of potatoes in a new section of the veggie plot. The Bermuda grass was starting to makes it way back up through the soil from the chunks of root that got left behind, and the planting would help rid the plot of some the weeds.

Speaking of soil, it gave me one of those inward smiles when I heard my children talking about the worms in the 'soil' as opposed to worms in the 'dirt'. There is a difference, which I won't get into, but there are some that cringe inwardly at the mention of plants in 'dirt'. (I suppose it is similar cringe that some of us experienced at Bush's pronunciation of the word 'nuclear'.)

And speaking of worms, the kids found a doozey. It must have been 8-10" long stretched out and was FAT.

I had to use the kids' wagon to collect the grass clumps as the wheelbarrow is hopelessly buried in the garage.



Finley is a bit unwell today, but I would rather have her in the sun than cooped inside in front of the TV.



There are a lot more weeds that are vying for attention, but unfortunately, laundry seems to take precedence.

No comments: