Tuesday, March 10, 2009

While Joe was napping...


the girls were out enjoying nearly 80 degree weather.


It is the kind of day that seems big. The clouds are thick and heavy, letting only glimpses of strong sunlight through. The wind is blowing and warm, the plum trees are in bloom, the grass is growing. There is a weight to things that wasn't there last week.


I had started some broccoli (among other things) indoors several weeks ago, but as I haven't a greenhouse, or a proper seed-starting setup, my plants are a bit leggy. My tomatoes, I am less worried about, as I know I can bury the stem deep when the time comes to transplant, but the broccoli? I've never grown broccoli before.


I took the kids to a farmers' co-op store, where I picked up some seed potatoes and onions. I also bought a pack of broccoli. Just because I can. I'll still give my scrawny seedlings their chance, though.


Out in the garden, there are miracles happening. The radishes, spinach, and romaine I planted are sprouting. It never ceases to amaze me that things grow. For me. I never get tired of the yearly treasure hunt, looking closely at the places where I know a plant has lurked underground all winter long, waiting for the right time...


If ever I was born to do something... Let the dishes and laundry pile up. Let the dust collect. Just let me sink my fingers into the earth.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

YESSSSSSS! Give me earthworms, dirty hands, and a bench in the garden. I do so wish we were neighbors...again. We could share eclectic fruits and veggies.