Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Flicking the Switch

Ever have one of those flourescent light bulbs that takes a while for the light to come on? First, you hear the buzzing of electricity. You see a faint flickering in the ends of the bulb. It flashes on, and the hope of light rises, then fades as the light goes back out. On again, off again, in a cruel cruel cycle, until finally the bulb gains enough strength to stay on for good.

Parenting is like that, except in the slowest of slow motion.

I am realizing how little control I have over the condition of a child's heart. (none)
I am feeling a rising desperation for my children to begin to make choices based on relationship and real understanding rather than an 'I don't want to get in trouble' mentality.

I'm waiting for that light to go on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my Bible students used to like to quote Isaiah 28:10, and he was dealing with an adult daughter!..It all takes time.
Love, Ma

Anonymous said...

"Do you want to do what mommy asked or do you want to sit on time out?" IS getting old. ;)

I hear ya, girl!

Ashley said...

Internal motivation...YES! It's the imprint of eternity on hearts. If anyone can instill this...YOU can.