Monday, May 18, 2009

Chopping Broccoli


I harvested some broccoli today. I had low expectations after the first little bit I gleaned from my dozen plants several weeks ago. Now I'm thinking it might be worth the effort after all.

There is a lot of lettuce. I should be eating salads two meals a day, but I've been distracted and haven't taken the time to harvest. (Property search, laundry, tending to the kids' every need... you know...)

I also staked half my tomatoes today, and discovered several little volunteer tomato plants that I am hoping are my cherry tomatoes that manage to reseed themselves every year.

I have a corner of the garden that is empty. There are several things I could or should plant there, but it is kind of nice to have an area the kids can dig in without me fearing for some plant's life.

I did take a picture of the garden, but am embarrassed to post it. Weed central. Chris promises to borrow our neighbor's little tiller (tiller head mounted on a weed eater shaft- coolest thing ever), then maybe I can get most of the weeds out and put down the rest of my half-decomposed leaf compost to act as a weed barrier. Then we'll take another picture to show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm impressed with your broccoli! I've never tried growing it, but should have, I guess. If you are harvesting goodies, don't sweat the looks and weeds....:)

Al said...

I need to learn to like broccoli. I can do it! I can do it!

On another note, Nate's folks had HUGE garden plots when he was a kid, growing up on the farmstead in Falls city and all he remembers are the hours and hours and hours of time his folks spent out there, all summer, weeding and watering etc. Gardens are SO MUCH work. I'm with your mom, don't sweat the looks if you are getting good food out of it!