Monday, August 31, 2009

Last week, I took the kids to the downtown library for story time. If you arrive at the library before it opens, there is usually a crowd of people that are homeless, waiting to get inside. The library is a great place for them to read, use the public computers, or go to the bathroom and freshen up a bit for the day.

There was an older man (obviously homeless) ahead of us as we were heading out the back doors to the parking garage. He was about to pass through the detectors, when a couple of kids bolted through on their way in. Their grandmother, glanced over at the man as she followed the kids, then as soon as she was past him, pulled her shoulders up and shivered, in that 'oooo, gross!' manner.

It made me sad. More often than not, it is the homeless person that holds the elevator or is ready with a smile for me and my kids... But then I wondered how often I shudder on the inside when I encounter someone I don't understand and judge them... More than I'd like to admit.

I'm beginning to see more clearly how our attitudes, actions, and speech devalue human life.

No comments: