Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Last night, while we were away having dinner with friends and picking up the chickens, some weather came though here. Half of the roof to the pump house was blown about 20 feet away, so it must have been quite a little storm. This morning found the air heavy with moisture and the ground soaked and thankful. The sight of wet branches and grass made everything look still, but it was hardly quiet. I have yet to learn what birds give rise to the various calls I hear around here.
The chickens made it to their new home in relatively good condition. As I opened the coop this morning, a couple of them cautiously poked their heads out, but upon seeing me, refused to come out. I heard them talk it over a bit inside, apparently discussing my potential threat to their safety, so I stepped out of view and waited to see what would happen. A few seconds later, a third chicken boldly stepped outside, followed by the rest, jerking their heads around to take it all in.

I'm a little curious to see if any lay today, though I wouldn't be surprised if the trauma of last night keeps them from doing so.
On a side note, I've been wanting to name the place. Names like 'Green Acres' and 'Sunny Fields' plague my mind but are instantly dismissed. I asked Chris if he had any ideas. "Funny Farm," he answered instantly. Then we had a good laugh. I am open to any other suggestions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The chicken coop looks great, and what bunch of pretty hens you have! (I assume they are all hens...) The only name that comes to my mind is "Dream Land", since it has been your dream to have a place like that. In my mind, I call our acre here "Son Shine Acre"
and I want it to bring Him as much pleasure as it does me...