Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Saturday was spent organizing the house and garage a bit. Not much fun, but necessary. There are fewer boxes cluttering our lives now.

Reanna worked off and on all day in the blazing sun to dig a fire pit after I started on it in the morning and quickly gave up decided I had better things to do. I was impressed.

Sunday, I went to bush-hog for a bit, and coming around a corner next to some trees, found I couldn't steer the tractor and almost met with an accident. (It just now occurs to me that I didn't have the kill switch in mind. That might be helpful.) When I was finally able to pull out, I saw that one of the front tires was flopping back and forth. A careful drive back up to the shop, and Chris noticed that the steering link was loose and sliding up on the spindle (did I get my terminology right?) He knocked it down into place and tightened it back up.

The rest of the 4th was quiet (as the kids were on the mend from colds). We did top it off with some fireworks for amusement.

Yesterday, we started to take down some fencing and the huge osage orange monstrosity that sat between the trailer and the pond. People actually buy the hedge apples the shrub(?) produces as it supposedly repels insects and spiders. Our local extension agent was quoted as saying that they are "one of the most worthless plants in the world". I guess 'one man's trash is another man's treasure'.

Early last week, I walked outside to a loud buzz and noticed big green beetles (green June bugs?)flying all over the place. Yesterday, Chris found this one that had apparently flown into a barb.


And now for the official introduction to the hens.

Elizabeth, a Rhode Island Red, is in the foreground. She is the consistent layer of the bunch. And in the absence of a rooster, she wears the pants, it seems. I love to hear her. She sounds a bit kung-fu with her 'rrrrrrraaa'. Behind her is Granny, a Silver Lacewing.


This is Fluffy, one of the Polish hens. (Finley named her.)

And this is Pluck, the other Polish hen that I think is our other consistent layer.
And this is Goldie (also named by Finley). She is an Aracauna.

No comments: