Monday, July 12, 2010

Spent the weekend taking down more fencing. There were several big fence posts to take out, and the two foot deep holes revealed a promising amount of topsoil.

Just need to cut down the stump from the osage orange, and we will have the place cleared. I am dreaming up garden plans to put in the area between the trailer and the pond.

I have been wrestling a bit with balance between raw nature and man's footprint that tends to erase the natural. I love that, although most of our place is cleared for pasture, a few stands of trees remain untouched (thanks due to the unruly rocks and sink holes that made them un-farmable). Whenever I see gardens with cubed shrubbery and perfectly manicured paths, I can't help but think that some one got it wrong. Hopefully, the gardens I help to create on this bare canvas of ours will be a good balance.

Fin and Z are fighting ear infections. With all the runny noses and bugs we've been fighting, I can't help but think this mildewy trailer has something to do with it. And I found a cockroach under the shampoo bottle in the shower this morning. The romantic notions I had about 'roughing it' in a trailer while we built our new home are being put in their proper place. Not that I regret our move for one second.

No comments: