Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Blueberries For...

Sal Us. I'd love it if some bears showed up one day while Z and I were out picking blueberries, but I don't think that will happen. Maybe if we lived closer to the mountains.

Yesterday, I got my berry patch planted. After tilling in peat moss and compost earlier this spring, I decided to till in some more since the soil there is rather hard and a bit high on the pH scale. I also tilled in some sulfur, as I doubt the peat alone could bring the pH down to ideal levels. So these blueberries better be happy. I've worked hard for them.
 I also managed to plant my blackberries (below) and raspberries...
 I know I must have walked over a mile today. Z wasn't exactly content to sit out in the sun and watch or help much, so I have no idea how many trips I made between the patch and the trailer...

I am trying to be a good girl and keep the sunblock on, so inspite of the hours and hours I spent exposed to the sun yesterday, the only burn I got was a little horizontal strip on my lower back where I tend to (ahem) crack. (Am I the only non-plumber with this problem?)

On days like this when all I want to do is work outside, this is a glimpse of what happens inside:
I did resist the temptation to shove all that mess on the floor and folded enough clothes so that Chris and I could go to bed last night.

Today I plant tomatoes.

1 comment:

Kohana said...

Did you plant summer or autumn fruiting raspberries? Will you build supports for them? I am trying to do blueberries and raspberries but so far I have feeble plants that I am confused about pruning. :) I hope yours are a roaring success!