Wednesday, April 11, 2012

(More) Tractor Drama and other things

I have this problem. I get really attached to things. Especially if they are a bit old and function in spite of the odds. My attachment grows exponentially if I have done any work on said thing to keep it functional. Consider my first car: a 1980 Honda Accord hatchback. It was green and ugly, and among the things I had to do to keep it running was plaster the rusted bottom of the gas tank with J. B. Weld to stop the leaks. I still wish I had that car.

And now, I find that the bond I have with our little International 254 is growing. Great. We've bought it new front tires, and I've replaced the water pump and had the radiator repaired. It has had a tendency to overheat (probably because it is so small and we work it too hard) and now the temp light is on permanently. We don't know if this an electrical or other problem... Add to all this the fact that it was basically free (I think the previous owners probably thought it wasn't worth the hassle), and I'm a goner. There is something crazy fun about popping it into high and 3rd and bouncing along. A sort of manic euphoria grips me.
Anyway, a 4 ft. Bush Hog came with the tractor, and part of my therapy around here was to get on the tractor and do some bush hogging. Lately, though, it has become apparent with the addition of the other 14 acres to take care of that, unless we want to spend a couple hours ever day on the tractor (which, if I had the time, I might not mind...) this little setup is not quite enough to keep on top of the bush hogging.

And now the Bush Hog just broke. Our fault. Chris and I failed to check to see if there was any oil in the gearbox. So now what to do? Do we just pay some one to bush hog for us? Or should we sell the 254 and put the money toward a bigger tractor? Of course I can't see the situation clearly and am finding a lot of reasons why we should keep the thing...

So when everything seems out of control and I can't bush hog, I wash eggs. Something about laying the eggs out in nice orderly rows to dry help me feel sane.
 Speaking of eggs, you forget to gather eggs for one day, and a hen decides to follow that brooding instinct. She's been sitting since Monday, I think... gotten up a couple of times to stretch her legs and eat, but she looks pretty serious about sitting on her clutch. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: