Thursday, April 26, 2012

Egg Pondering

Every once in a while, I get an egg that has an odd shape like this one:
A bit out of focus... sorry.
I can't help but wonder what might have been going on as the shell was being formed around the egg. Did something happen to disturb the hen that made her tense up?  Maybe another hen walked in just at the right moment and said, "Why don't you hurry up, Gladys?" For a while, I was getting some really long, pointy eggs, and I have a suspicion that they were my Polish hen's first eggs. She is a bit slighter than your typical layer, and I can imagine that she was nervous that laying an egg might not be too pleasant, which might cause that egg-forming-laying part to tighten up a bit. I may be wrong, but it's kind of fun to think about...

And for the last two days, one of my Americaunas has been laying in the sandbox. Nevermind that the first day, Zivah chased her out right after she layed it. She decided to risk it again. This is the same hen that was laying in the big ficus pot on the deck last year. I wonder if she'll keep it up.


No comments: