Thursday, August 16, 2012

Everyone Needs a Little Crazy

The story goes, if I remember correctly, that Susie and Harry found Petey on the side of the road, dirty and naked and needing a home. So they picked him up, gave him a bath and some clothes, and adopted him into the family. Susie and Harry's kids were grown by this time, so thank goodness they found Richie to keep Petey company. Petey and Richie went everywhere with Susie and Harry... on errands, camping...

I remember having mixed feelings about all this. Petey was a Cabbage Patch Kid, and for all intents and purposes, Susie and Harry (full grown adults, may I remind you) were committed to pretending that Petey and Richie were real. On one hand, this was really entertaining. On the other, this felt crazy. Really crazy.

Fast forward twenty years, and here I am, sending a text to my brother, letting him know that one of my chickens had gone missing: "I figure she might have gone looking for her abducted sisters [the chickens I gave to him]. If she shows up at your house, let me know."

What is wrong with me?

Is life really so tiresome that sometimes we need to make it more entertaining? Yes. So forgive me if once in a while I slip into The Land of Make-Believe. Just don't let me stay there for too long.

1 comment:

Chris Burnett said...

Maybe you should get a "Cabbage Patch Chicken"