Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Storage, Organization, Yada Yada

Little things make a lot of difference.

Back in Nashville in the stairwell off the kitchen, I had installed a wooden strip on the wall with clips and nails that held the broom, mop, duster, etc. There were also shelves just the right height and depth for cleaning supplies and stacks of rags. All this was hidden behind a bi-fold door I could close to keep them out of sight. It was perfect. I wish I had a picture of it.

For two years now, in this trailer, the broom has been shoved in the corner of the kitchen along with the mop, duster, Swiffer, play mop, and play broom. Always tangled and falling over amid weeks worth of dust-bunnies, it was a, well... The word that came to mind to describe the situation is not appropriate for this blog.

Yesterday, I finally did something about it.

It may not be hidden, but (hallelujah!) this makes me so much happier.

As much as it drives me crazy, living in this lousy trailer is kind of a good thing. It is making me aware of little things that I can plan for in the new house. For example, there will be a drawer for the girls' hair supplies in the bathroom. Can you believe there are no drawers in the bathrooms of the trailer? It's maddening. But you can be sure that the vanities we install will not be drawerless.

Aside from the promise of one day moving into a house with better closets, there is another thing that gives me hope and encouragement on those days when I am really struggling with the clutter of the trailer: Sheri's blog. Sheri is an amazing woman who has a business helping people organize their lives. Not only can she tell you what to do to help get control of things, she can show you how we think about stuff that affects the way we deal with it. And when she writes posts like this one (click to read), it makes me want to stand up, shout 'YES!' then go conquer some clutter.

No comments: