Sunday, August 26, 2012

Thought for Food

I turned on the TV at 3 a.m. last night during a bout of insomnia. Not having a book I am currently reading, I am thankful that our local PBS station usually has some interesting programming on in the wee hours of the morning. This time, it was a show about Herbert Hoover. As usual, the show was filled with photos from the time, and one in particular caught my eye. Someone was holding a poster printed with these words:

Food 1. Buy it with thought 2. Cook it with care
 
Curious, I did a search on the internet and found an image of the poster at this site.


These were printed up by a department of the U.S. Government during WWI. Crazy, huh? I don't think the big agricultural businesses would look kindly upon the government doing something like that these days.

No comments: