Sunday, August 12, 2007

Hummingbirds

I am pleased to announce that the hummingbirds have finally made their presence known... About two weeks ago, I noticed a bird trying to swallow some of the old, stale sugar-water I had left in the feeder. I whipped up a fresh batch, and now we have daily visitors. I don't know if the drought encouraged them to seek new sources of food, or what, but I am glad to have them.




The first picture is a bird at my feeder. The other is a shot of him sitting on our phone line, guarding his territory. If any other bird comes along to take a drink, he chases it off.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So after reading this, I packed up the kids and went to Lowes to buy a hummingbird feeder. Now, what do I put in it? And is there anything special I need to know about where to place it?

I got a bunch of bird seed too. I figured if all the plants are dying maybe we can at least see some birds alive in our garden!

Anonymous said...

I love your site. Thanks for sharing the things of nature I miss while I'm out on the road. It's almost as if I'm there! Leilani

Wendy said...

For any of you interested... instead of paying $$ for the nectar in the store, just add 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup boiling water, and put in the feeder after it cools. www.hummingbird.net has lots of good info and advice.

Al said...

nice nature photography... those little guys sure aren't very east to catch in a photo, let alone sitting way out on a phone wire. I'm jealous. I wish we had humming birds but I think the whirling, flipping squirrel mayhem in our backyard would scare them all away, good nectar or none.