Friday, February 1, 2008

8 Things About Reanna

By special request...

Shyla was tagged by a friend of hers to write eight things about one of her children. At the end of her post she tagged me to write about Reanna. It's true... I don't write too many posts about her. Part of it is that she just isn't around as much as the kids I gave birth to, and when she is, since it is the school year, she locks herself in her room for most of the day to do her work in relative peace. Also, as her step-mom, I don't know her like her mom does, which leads me to:

#1. Reanna is a lot like me in the sense that she doesn't open up easily to people she's not incredibly close to. Reanna and I aren't naturally gabby with each other, so it is fun when she gets into telling me about the things that go on in her life apart from us.

2. Reanna is a dancer. When she was younger, I used to to project the things that I thought she might be good at. For example, when at age five, she naturally plunked out an octave on the piano, I thought music might be her thing. But when a few years later, I bought a piano book and showed her the basics on her keyboard, I didn't see her take any initiative. She would rather hit the programmed song button and listen. These days, I can see what she is passionate about, what is naturally a part of her. She is always dancing and practicing her moves. (Isn't it fun to discover what your kids are passionate about?)

3. She is a vegetarian. A couple years ago, she went through a vegetarian phase with her mom. It faded out, as more and more exceptions kept being made. About a year ago, she decided to try it again. She told me they (she and her mom) were going to start after they ate some chicken wings in the freezer. I challenged her that if it was something she felt strongly about, not to wait for her mom. Almost a year later, she has stuck to it, even with her mom eating meat, and I am proud that she's learning to stand alone for things she believes in.

4. She is one of those infamous preteens with a cell phone.

5. She has known her dad longer than I have have known him... and I think she has a lot more tolerance for antics than I do. When she was 5 or 6, he used to act ridiculous in public (walking funny or something). Reanna would get so embarrased, and I would try to tell her, "He can only embarrass himself." These days, when he gets silly and loud after supper (the little ones eat it up), I get frustrated (dying for some quiet) and Reanna just rolls her eyes.

6. She enjoys playing with Finley and Joe. She especially enjoys having a little sister to put make up and fingernail polish on.

7. She is a budding poet and writer. Remember when you were entering those teen years? She's into writing that crazy, exploring-the-emotions type stuff. I really do enjoy her other writings, though. She has a way of writing that draws one's interest.

8. She is gracious and patient. It amazes me that no matter how many times Joe breaks into her room, or Finley demands her attention, she rarely seems exasperated with them. She will just collect the wayward Joe into her arms and deposit him into another room, or answer Finley with a 'not right now.'

9. (Chris' addition) She is growing up.

1 comment:

Lori said...

This is really beautiful. Especially #8. I can see her doing that over and over again. Can she impart that graceful patience to the rest of us?