Monday, February 4, 2008

Another Day

In the midst of cleaning up the Play-Doh, Finley decides she needs to go potty. Joe comes up from the basement where he had been throwing balls. I look at him with suspicion and ask, "Are you poopie?"

"Uh-uh." He replies in the negative. But I can tell from the I-don't-like-you-for-asking look he has on his face that he is probably lying. I check, and sure enough, he has a load.

I manage to wrestle Joe to the changing pad, and administer a little swat to get him to lie still. Just then, Finley announces that she has pooped and needs her bum wiped. "You'll have to wait," I say as I pull my shirt over my nose and undo Joe's diaper. This is a big one, and a bit more odorous than I had anticipated. I start singing the Doxology (Praise God from whom all blessings flow...) in the hopes that will distract me enough to prevent any upheavals.

You would think that at 15 weeks of this pregnancy, I would be over the gagging and vomitting. After all, they call the second trimester the 'honeymoon' of the pregnancy. But, no. Not this one.

The singing doesn't work. A gag forces its way up, and with it, some of my sandwich. Thankfully, by this time, Joe's rear end is clean. Trying not to spit any of this up in my shirt, I run past Finley, who has parked herself in front of the mirror to check to see if her bum is clean, to the bathroom.

Knowing there are some chunks in my mouth, I contemplate spitting in the toilet, but glancing, see that Finley did not flush. I turn and spew all over the sink. It keeps coming. During a lull, I manage to wipe some off the sink, rinse most of it down, and flush the toilet. Another wave comes, and I am able to let it go into the 'clean' water of the toilet.

Realizing that there are still two little ones in need of attention, I wipe Finley and put a clean diaper on Joe, then go to retrieve the Comet bathroom cleaner from the closet. I run some more water in the sink to check to see if it is clogged, then spray it down. The citric acid smell of the spray soothes me as I clean the sink. It's just another day...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet mama,
You definitely got my sympathy on this one...and maybe even a little muffled chuckle...
Too bad I live so far away... M.

Lori said...

Oh, if I were single and childless, I'd come and change every diaper and wipe every bum and fix you ginger tea and let you take naps. Then again, if I were single and childless I probably wouldn't have a clue what to do for you or where to begin. May we remember as Grandmas what our dear children need. :0)

Anonymous said...

awwww man!

Anonymous said...

At least you won't be spewing when it's three little bums to wipe! (Unless you go for four!)

That's a bummer, and I'm so sorry. This warm and damp in the morning weather keeps giving me flashbacks of morning sickness...even the flashbacks are horrible.

Here's me hoping it will pass soon.