Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Babel-ing

I heard a report on NPR this morning that attendance to the national parks has declined sharply since the 90's. Today, I also saw a newspaper article that said Disneyland's profits were higher than expected.

I have been thinking about a potential move to the country, and with it, come questions like, "Would we be able to get high-speed internet access? Would there be good cell phone reception in that area?" I realize how much I have tied myself to technology and its conveniences. My number one mode of communication is e-mail. Number two is my cell phone. Way down on the list is face to face interactions with people other than my children and husband. Sad.

Driving downtown, I see lots of concrete and glass. There is hardly anything natural in the landscape.

I am one of those that believes that creation speaks volumes to us of our Creator if only we would take the time to listen. The Bible tells us that the heavens declare the glory of God, not just because they are amazing and beautiful (the above photo is a shot of the darkest part of the sky), but because they were created to help tell the story of our redemption. (For the past two years Andy Reese has spoken at Christmas about the reality of the 'Christmas Star' and how the constellations tell the story of our relationship with God. If at all interested, you can listen here. It is well worth your time. Unfortunately, you'll miss out on the visuals he had.)

Anyway, I am seeing an increasing move away from the natural. The majority of humanity is surrounding itself with all that is man-made, and losing touch with the God-made. It is as if we are trying to build what we see as the perfect world, like the tower of Babel... when man tried to reach heaven with his own creation. In the process, man loses touch with God and other men. (I do see the irony that in a sense, we are in communication with each other more than ever, but the depth and meaning of that communication??)

All the more, I want my children to experience nature as it is meant to be seen. I want them to hold real worms in their hands instead seeing a cartoon worm on TV. I want to provide my children more opportunity to get a glimpse of their Creator through creation. In the same way, I want to re-inforce with myself as I teach my kids that relationship is much more than gathering around the television to watch a movie together or shooting Grandma an e-mail every now and then...
*Disclaimer: I am not saying all man-made inventions are evil. It's just that whole balance thing again. I am not on track to ban electricity from my house, and I will always use something to help my pits not stink so badly. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This strikes a chord in me as well -- I love the convenience of technology, but hate the dependence on it. I am saddened by the "escapist" mentality of the Disney amusement vacations versus the "being alive and fully present in the moment" awe of nature parks. Yet, I find myself seeking the escape more often than the awe. Sad. Thanks for the post. Leilani