Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Glory, Hallelujah...

This morning, instead of waking up under the dirty-brown view of ceiling joists and subfloor, I woke up under the clean off-white ceiling of newly nearly-finished attic space in a pool of filtered morning light from the skylight above our bed. I hadn't heard a stir, creak, or thump from the children's beds all night, as sound was no longer being transmitted through the hardwood floors straight into the airspace above my head. I didn't have to pull myself up any flights of stairs in the middle of the night. Although the needs of nature did wake me up a few time, I was able to stumble just a few feet back to bed and return to sleep after just a few moments. Amazing.


After having the carpet installed yesterday (see above photo), Chris and I (with a little help from my bro who had the misfortune of stopping by in the nick of time to help move a few pieces of heavier and/or awkward furniture out the basement door, through the blazing heat, around the house, then up a flight of stairs) moved our bed and a few other items upstairs. I feel a little disappointment at not having some matching nightstands to really give the room a feeling of completedness, but maybe someday...

In the meantime, I just have to laugh at myself for caring so much. I used to have a room furnished with a bedesk (desk built of 2x4's with 6 foot high platform above on which I had my sleeping pallet), an (admittedly) ugly, brown, striped chair that I covered with an old army blanket, and random things that I collected and thought were interesting. But, really, I haven't changed so much. My room 'matched,' and I was very particular about the atmosphere of my living space and the way things looked (thus I covered the ugly chair with a blanket). Chris doesn't mind so much, at we are sometimes at odds as to how to furnish our rooms. In the end, I think he ends up agreeing with my decisions.

Now that we are semi-settled in our new master-suite, I am about to enter into some serious 'nesting' activities. The house is covered in a layer of dust, the basement is cluttered and crazy still, and baby things are crammed in corners all over the house. My hopes are to get everything cleaned and put in their proper places. I'm hoping to usher truckloads of unneccessary items from this house, maybe have a garage sale, and feel like I have room to breathe again. I've got one month.

3 comments:

Shyla said...

The attic looks great. I know you are so glad to have that wrapping up in plenty of time for the baby.

So, the countdown begins! I think I get more done around my house the month or so before I have a baby than the rest of the year combined :o)

Al said...

it does look great... and one month before the baby is scheduled to come - awesome! I couldn't bee happier for you (and more relieved) :-)

Lori said...

GORGEOUS!!! Congratulations!