Monday, June 23, 2008

Nesting


About a month ago, we noticed that a pair of doves were camping out on one of the brick pillars of our front porch. Chris wanted to make sure they didn't build a nest and make a mess of our porch. I secrectly hoped he would forget, then lose the nerve to disrupt them if they did.

They did end up building their nest, and Chris left them alone.

Soon after, the kids and I went out to sit on the porch. The mama bird immediately flew from the nest and tried to distract us from the nest by flapping on the telepone wire and performing all sorts of aviator stunts. I didn't want to stress her out, so herded the kids back inside. Thankfully, she's gotten used to us, and doesn't feel that we are a threat, even when I tried to get in her face to snap a photo.

Until yesterday, I hadn't seen her leave the nest since that first stressful encounter. I was watching her as I sat on the couch and read, wondering when she slept. (Her eyes are always open, and seemingly watching us through the windows.) All of a sudden, she flew off, presumably to get something to eat, and I had my chance to see if there were actually any eggs in the nest. I stood up on the couch to try to see, and sure enough, I caught a glimpse of something white among the twigs. I'm not sure if there is only one egg, or if there are more, but I didn't want to freak mama out by poking around near her nest when she felt it was safe enough to leave it for a second.

I have to admit, I am a little jealous of her. In spite of her watchfulness, she is allowed to sit still nearly all day long and simply wait for her little one(s) to hatch. There are so many things on my before-the-baby comes 'to do' list and my 'want to do' list... but generally by the time I get a moment, I check my energy level, and it is running close to empty. Oh well. The thick layer of dust on the bathroom light will just have to wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a darling picture...and what an appropriate object lesson from your loving Heavenly Father! Yes, the dust can wait!

Lori said...

Did I tell you about the little nest on our porch? I got to watch little baby birds grow and disappear. I didn't tell Judah, but I showed Tiffany. I just didn't want Judah to disrupt them when I wasn't looking.

I love the picture. And the analogy. So sweet.

Al said...

that is a great picture. what a little treat. i hope chris doesn't mind because it is really cool to get to watch babies develop. we have some little sparrows in one of our vents. drives nate crazy but i love hearing them in there :-)