Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Plums

The year we moved in, we planted several trees, including two plum trees. They were hardly more than bare root trees, just stuck in a pot of sawdust, so we didn't expect any fruit that first year. The next two years, we had an infestation of Japanese beetles, which ate the leaves into something akin to Swiss cheese, and the fruit was buggy with spots and mostly just fell off. I remember getting to eat one plum one of those years. Last year, we had a late frost, and the fruit had already set, so they just shriveled up and fell off the tree.

This year, the tree is loaded with fruit, most of them looking very healthy. I ate my first plum today. The inside was very sweet and juicy, the skin very tart.

By the way, I have six weeks to go, and despite the 90 degree weather, I'm not as swollen as I thought I'd be. I guess it helps when you don't eat canned ravioli and fast food for lunch like I did when I was pregnant with Finley.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you and your plums are just lovely.

Anonymous said...

Yowee...I guess I'll never get used to seeing you pregnant!...:)
Glad you have plums to eat anyway; mine plums are loaded, too, but only about 1/2 inch long...and green, so far..
Ma

Lori said...

I'm so excited about your plums! Your garden is so happy, and your belly is so ball-ish!