Thursday, June 11, 2009

If a squirrel can do it...

Sometimes I wonder if this earth will really end up being destroyed in God's final effort to set things right. It is such a fatalistic and but at times comforting idea. It is an idea that makes me want to believe that it doesn't really matter all that much, taking care of things.

Then driving one day, I started wondering how the Creator must feel about it all. I imagined that he must get a little upset angry, creating this beautiful world then having man just destroy it. Then I thought about how I would feel if I made something special for my kids. I would want them to enjoy it, love it, and take care of it so that it would last a long time... But I suppose I wouldn't expect it to last forever. Children are know to wear things out. I wonder if that is how God thinks about the earth. He wants us to discover its beauty and its resources, to enjoy creation and use it wisely, and I am convinced he doesn't like us trashing it.

And sometimes I think about the possibility of redemption. He is able to take things (like us) that seemed hopelessly trashed and make them new and beautiful. He calls us to be a part of redemption and restoration as well. (See Isaiah 61).

Anyway, here's a little cartoon to inspire you.

No comments: