Monday, June 1, 2009

Weekend Update 6/1

After talking it over, Chris and I decided there was too much to do to get this house ready to put on the market this summer... much to my relief. At least I know where we will be living and can hopefully get Finley signed up for some classes this fall. Since we now aren't in a mad panic to get a long list of things done to the house, I convinced Chris to take a little hike in the woods Saturday morning.

We packed into the van and headed to a nice little nature trail just a few blocks from Mark and Molly's. Radnor Lake is a nice little place to visit without having to drive an hour or more from the city. The only downside is that it is normally packed with people, so there is no feeling of being out in the 'wilderness'

To our pleasant surprise, Jenny, Laurel, and Molly pulled into the parking lot just as we were about to try to find the trail head. This was probably saving grace as it got Finley and Joe really excited about the prospect of a hike. We walked for a while with J,L, and M on the paved section, then wandered off on our own down a trail. It wasn't long after that Finley started to get 'tired', which really, I think, meant 'bored'. Thankfully, with chasing games and searches for walking sticks, I managed to get Finley though the hike without carrying or dragging her.

We did also see a fawn about ten feet off the trail, lying flat on the ground pretending that nobody could see him. The mother was just a hundred feet away, so used to foot traffic in that area that she wasn't the least bit concerned about her baby. Of course we forgot to bring the camera along

We got home and spent the rest of the day cleaning out the garage. We have a ridiculous amount of stuff. Pack rats at heart, we hold onto lots of things just because we can see a potential use for those items. That does come in handy quite often and does save a few dollars. But every once in a while we have to ask ourselves the question, 'Are we really ever going to use this?' As a result, our garage is one truckful lighter.


a before shot

and after

Sunday morning was spent in the garage, then we headed out to Reanna's dance recital. Once again, we forgot the camera. Reanna was spectacular, and we all made it through the 2 1/2 hours without major incident. Afterward, we went out to eat, then headed home, exhausted after such an eventful weekend.

Today, I am hoping to finish up making my rain barrel (thanks, JK, for the barrel). This morning, I was reminded why safety goggles are a must when the jigsaw sprayed my face with small plastic bits, one of which flew into my eye. I finished up the 4" hole for the downspout adapter wearing eye protection. Now I need to wait for Chris to help me since I cannot get the spigot we salvaged from some old washer hookup unscrewed from the elbow it is attached to. Pictures will follow when it is finished.

2 comments:

Shyla said...

In reference to your garage:
I have a job for you when you come tomorrow :o)

I think Elizabeth is coming over too. Hope that's okay!

You guys are welcome to eat lunch here if you'd like, but we don't really have bread, so if you do sandwiches you might want to bring your stuff. I have peanut butter, jelly, macaroni, salami, cheese and crackers, and that's all I can think of right now.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love organizing. Your garage project looks like fun. :)

And I like how you said you made it without "major" incident. With kids there is almost always incident of some kind, but the days without "major" incident are wonderful!