Friday, February 19, 2010

A few other things...

before I disappear back into the chaos of life.

Joe's special 'soft' blanket disappeared three days ago. Last I saw, Z had it. Come nighttime, it was nowhere to be found. I even checked trash cans in case she decided it was used tissue and threw it away. I don't know if I just missed seeing it, or if it is hidden in some mysterious crack somewhere in the house. It can fold up to be rather small. At least Joe hasn't seemed to mind too much. He hasn't even asked about it the last two nights. I think, no, I'm sure Chris and I are more upset about it than he is.

We dropped the price on the house, and finally have our first showing scheduled for Sunday. There are a few other houses in the neighborhood at the same price, but we have a better yard and an actual garage... so we will see. I'm not holding my breath.

It doesn't seem like I've been sleeping well. Usually, there is something that wakes me up in the middle of the night, and with all the potential life changes looming, my mind starts awhirling. An hour or so later, I'm back to sleep, but Zivah has been a bit of a booger lately, waking at 5:30 a.m. and refusing to lie back down. Ugh.

I salvaged a small fortune's worth of DeckMate screws from an old 2x4 coffee table and a couple end tables I built back in my single days. (sigh) I've been reminiscing a bit about my bedesk. I wish I had a picture to show you. Inspired by the 2x4 and plywood shelf my brother built for me to sleep on when I moved to Tennessee nearly 13 years ago, it stood 5 feet high. The top was a 3 by 6 foot platform I slept on. It was especially great in the winter (since heat rises). Below was a desk top with a shelf above it for my books. I've been daydreaming about building similar furniture for the kids when they get a little older. And who knows. If you come over in a few years, there might be another new-and-improved coffee table. I bet I could do better these days, especially if I take a few lessons from Louie in the art of furniture-making.

2 comments:

anissa matthews said...

i loved that bedesk!

Lori said...

I remember that bed. And how knowing you made it AND the soup we had that night impressed me to no end.