Thursday, February 18, 2010

Midweek Update

Today, it was forty degrees outside. The kids and I were actually able to go outside, enjoy the weather, and let our bodies produce some natural vitamin D. I played at some weeding, the sun on my back, amazed at how warm the surface of the soil was. Tomorrow, it will be closer to fifty. I plan on ignoring the inside of the house as much as possible.

The other day, I had one of those 'teachable moments' with Finley. She took something without asking, then tried to hide it from me, fabricating some pathetic story about how this item was in her possession. When she told me she didn't know it was wrong to take the item, I asked her why she tried to hide it, and explained that when you feel like you need to hide something, that's a big clue that you are doing something wrong. The conversation ended with a few tears in her eyes, so I gave her a hug and told her I loved her. Then she went to her room and hid under her covers for an hour. That hour was one of my happiest moments as a parent. It seemed that for the first time, I could see real regret for her actions, not the regret that she might have to face unpleasant consequences. We still have a long way to go.

I've been thinking about faith a lot. How most of the time, there are things that make it easy to explain away faith into nothingness, but that is the nature of it. Then there are those rare times that have only one explanation.

No comments: