Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chicken Coop Progress

This past Sunday, I was able to spend a little more time working on the chicken coop. I started on the door...

After bracing the door panel with salvaged 2x2's, I wanted to spruce the door up a bit. I couldn't handle having a strictly functional coop... It's got to look good, too. So I grabbed a board out of the Broken-Down Barn that was a true 1" x 6" oak plank, then ripped it into 1/2" x 2" strips and framed out the door. I also started trimming out the coop itself, but don't have a picture of that yet...
I really like the contrast of the weathered oak up against the clean paneling. I'm wondering if I ought to put some sealant or stain over the paneling to keep it from going grey and maintaining some contrast. Sunday night, instead of watching the first quarter of the Super Bowl, I set the hinges in the door.
Yesterday and today, I caught moments to scrap together the nesting boxes. I was worried that they wouldn't turn out so well, as I didn't have a clear idea in mind of how I was going to build them... But I guess they came out okay.

No comments: