Sunday, February 20, 2011

Juat Call Me Debbie Downer

Well. We lost another chicken yesterday. The neighbor's dogs must have snatched Granny while she and Elizabeth were grazing up next to the shop. There is a mess and a trail of feathers leading back to toward house. So Elizabeth is our sole survivor at this point.

This morning, we reinforced one of the gates to keep Elizabeth from crawling under it and escaping from our back yard where the old, little coop is. So much for using the new coop. We'll have to figure out a way to fence in a nice, big yard off the new coop before we can let Elizabeth or any new chickens we get live out there. No more totally free ranging until we can put up fencing around our property to keep the dogs out or until the dogs go bye-bye...

In other news, we've been sick. Finley came down with a fever on Valentine's Day while at school, Joe caught the bug Wednesday, and Z, who has had a cough and snotty nose for three weeks, ran a slight temp yesterday. I'm feeling pretty lousy, myself, although I can't seem to scare up a fever to give me a good excuse to relinquish all the household duties to Chris.

Looking on the bright side, Joe's illness paved the way for a few laughs. Apparently, his sickness led to some vivid dreaming. We heard him talking one night, so went in to check on him....
"You okay, Joe?"
"I just want everything to disappear."
...
"Just go back to sleep, Buddy."
"I don't want any rocks on my head."
...
Later, he wandered into our room and told me:
"I just want some real water."
In the morning, he asked for real water again.
"Was somebody trying to give you water that wasn't real?"
"Yeah."
"Who?"
"Daddy."
"What kind of water was he trying to give you?"
"He was squeezing some food."

No comments: