Thursday, February 24, 2011

Gardening on the Fly

It's happening again. While my brother has built two more raised beds and used a handy online planner to help layout his garden, and another friend is preparing what will be a killer urban garden in plastic tubs, I am once again... winging it.

I started my onions and broccoli indoor according to schedule, but I have done nothing with that plot of grass out back that is supposed to be my garden. In my defense, the weather has gone from extreme winter to spring in a millisecond, and I have spent the last week and a half being sick and taking care of sick children. Although we had several days of glorious weather, I had to spend them inside.

This week, my plan says I am supposed to be planting peas and spinach outside. So, today, ignoring the mucus in my lungs and the pouring rain, I wandered outside to the fairly weed-free plot where tomatoes grew last year, and, with a stick, drew two lines in the mud and dropped in some peas.
The spinach will have to wait. Maybe even until next year.

2 comments:

Sal Ring said...

Ohh c'mon now. Buck up there! Give it a few months and a little sunshine, and we know your sprawling garden will be the envy of these urban-agriculturalists. ;)

Al said...

I'm with Sal... I am imagining my pre-planned urban bins with one or two spindly weeds and your mud stick scratch blooming with loads of foliage and veggies.
We will just have to see :-)