Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Rant on Toy Clutter

Zivah has lost a shoe. How one loses a shoe in a trailer is baffling. Completely baffling. That is, until you wander into the kid section of the trailer and wonder how it doesn't sink into the earth from the sheer amount of toys jammed into that end. But as you dig among the plethora of toys under one bed, it occurs to you that most of the toys are just cheap, lightweight, China toys and so it's obvious why the floor hasn't collapsed.

I satisfied some of my frustration by chucking handfuls of random plastic things into the trash. Yes, it is sickening to think of all that stuff ending up in a landfill, but better there where a pile of dirt and some grass will eventually hide it from my sight than here where it pollutes my soul.

The other thing that completely baffles me as I continue my search for the shoe is the fact that the kids rarely are willing to part with these crappy pieces of plastic. Even if it is just a toy ring that topped a cupcake and is never worn.

What do the kids play with, you ask. Well. I frequently find the tinker toys scattered about. This morning, I found them shoved in between the frame and futon mattress of the bed in Re's room. They also love to play with the tea set and set of 'math cubes' that link together. These are used in the kids' version of Master Chef. The set of 100 linking cubes has slowly dwindled from 100 to 99 to some other number based on the random cubes I find in the dress-up or car or Lego bin or under someone's dresser. Legos are a big hit lately. They all play with their little stuffed hamsters, Joe with the NASCAR cars (while the Cars cars started collecting dust over a year ago), Zivah with one or two stuffed animals, and Finley with her horses.

That leaves at least 75% of their toys that remain untouched for the most part. Perhaps I exaggerate, but it would be a whole lot easier to find that shoe with that 75% gone.

No comments: