Thursday, July 26, 2007

Caterpillars

My neighbor suckered me into taking some black swallowtail butterfly caterpillars to raise. I guess it wasn't that hard, since I love to see nature in action up close. I was hoping for just a few little larvae to watch in their journeys to adulthood, but I ended up with ten. Three of them are just babies that popped out of the shell today.

I tried to pawn a few of them off on another friend to raise, but she said she was doing well just to keep her two kids alive.
When I got them on Monday, two of them were black with a white midsection, and no longer than a half inch long. Today is Thursday, and most of them are about two inches long. The little black speckles is the poop from the caterpillars. That is just a half day's worth of poop.


I would tell you more about them, but since I can't give you a really good picture of what they look like, click here to find out the details about their lives and see a picture of what I hope will emerge from my lowly critter tank.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear me! even the picture of them makes me want to squash them! are there that many of them running loose in the neighborhood...or where did the neighbor get them?okay, so they will become butterflies..."God makes everything beautiful in its time" How very creative He is!