Sunday, July 15, 2007

Churchin' It - GC Style

This morning was a struggle. After staying up a little too late, and the kids getting up too early, I was tired and cranky.


I used to like to go to church... when I didn't have kids. The past two and a half year, however, it has been a struggle, so we tend to not go quite frequently. Worship always feels hectic, trying to keep up with two little ones that don't want to sit still. And although Finley has finally gotten over the separation anxiety and wants to go to her class, Joe is another matter. He does not want us to leave him in the nursery. The past three times we have gone, I have ended up in the nursery, trying to get him acclimated. It hasn't worked, and I got tired of missing the message. So I've given up.


I have to admit, though, that GC is doing it right. GC has always been family friendly. In its smaller days, children would run all around during worship, dancing and waving flags. Mothers (at least those comfortable enough to do it) nursed their children in the service, and nobody looked at them funny. Today, the family-friendliness lives on, although things have changed. The converted gym (aka 'sanctuary') is packed. The 'hospitality room' (old school library) is outfitted with ultra-comfy chairs and sofas where the nursing mothers can lounge and watch what is happening via video feed. The foyer is outfitted with a plasma monitor as well, which allows those with restless leg syndrome to watch out there. The coffee shop off the foyer also has a monitor.


Inspite of my crankiness, we went anyway. And today, it was good. Today, we discovered another cozy spot. This small suite of rooms with a couch and two chairs also had a TV. We were able to kick back, relax, and let Joe run around without having to chase him down a hall or aisle.


Now thats what I call church.

1 comment:

Shyla said...

I totally get the staying up late, having to get up early with the kids thing :o)

It was interesting to me to read your take on church. I love GC, but I've been dealing with some stuff in regards to some changes with the kids. Lori just posted on church, too, so I decided to write about what I've been thinking. I am really curious to know what others think about it. I'm pretty new to the whole blogging thing, so let me know what you think. It's motheringingrace.blogspot.com.

Hope you guys are having a fun week!