Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Pioneer Lens

I am reading yet another pioneer book. I grew up on the Laura Ingalls Wilder series. Before I could read, I remember sitting in my mother's lap while she read it to me. As I got older, I read them myself... several times. I read them again about a year ago. I have always been fascinated by the detail in which they describe life in those days. I have dreamed about making my own maple syrup and pouring it into a pan of snow so that it would harden up to eat as candy.


To say I love these books is perhaps and understatement. I analyze my life through the lens that these books gives me. Sometimes they motivate me. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed at my lack of motivation in comparison with the pioneer women that it causes me to shut down. My life doesn't depend on my canning every tomato from my garden, but I almost feel cheated that it doesn't.


My pioneer lens really magnifies the absurdity of our modern affluence for me during birthdays and Christmas. Laura was excited to get a penny and a piece of candy for Christmas one year. My three year old opens one present, throws it aside, then demands, 'I want another present.' My heart breaks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how i love pioneer stories... they give a glimpse of the indomitable spirit of man...i hope Fin and Joe get to hear many from your lap..

Lori said...

My grandmother wrote a book about growing up during the Depression. I LOVE it. I love the mom in Grapes of Wrath. I admire the strength of character, the overcoming spirit, and the tenacity of the women who have gone before us. I want so much to be more like them. I'm realizing more and more how much our culture shapes who we are (television and commercials, video games, billboards, supermarkets filled with plastic toys...). We live in a culture that bombards us constantly with what we should want. I don't want it. Sometimes I think I'd be more comfortable living among the Amish. Then I realize I'd probably have to cook.

Anonymous said...

Wendy, this is one of my favorite things you've written. Thanks for letting us in your psyche. Often I feel the same way, but have never put it down on paper. The only difference in my world is that I'M the one looking for the next gift. Sheesh. Thanks for finding the words. Leilani