Monday, July 2, 2007

Green Grass

Chris is proud of his stripes. After mowing the lawn yesterday, he went outside to take pics of the yard.

We get lots of comments on our yard. Mostly, folks wonder how we get such a lush, weed free lawn. I'm going to tell you our secret. We learned these secrets from Mike McGrath, who has an organic gardening program on NPR called 'You Bet Your Garden.'
The first thing is... there are weeds... You just don't notice them.
Secondly, we don't use chemicals, but we do aerate and over seed once a year (though not with that crazy Bermuda grass).
But most importantly... All of you out there who hate to mow tend to cut the grass as short as possible so that you don't have to mow as frequently? Well, that works, but the trade-off is stressed-out grass and happy weeds. Set the mower to cut the grass 2.5 - 3 inches high (instead of just above dirt level), and you will leave the grass its food source. It will then be able to establish a healthier root system, which in turn creates healthier grass, all of which helps to choke those weeds out.

1 comment:

Lori said...

You inspire me. I don't know what it means to aerate and I've never seen anyone seed their lawn. Maybe you could coach me. I'm a fast learner. And I really like how your grass feels on my bare feet. Nice lines, Chris.