Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Clothesline

When we moved into our house, there were posts for a clothesline set up in the yard conveniently close to the back door. The lines themselves, I think, were long gone, and I replaced them with some scrap cat5e from work. Once the lines were up, they were strung (inconveniently) right over the little sidewalk to the garage. The threat of literally being clotheslined on the way to the garage, the fact that the posts were rusting out and in bad need of paint, and the other fact that I hated using the stiff towels that resulted from my mother hanging them to dry on the line when I was growing up, led us to take down the clothesline altogether.

Since then, I have learned (or remembered) a few things:
1. Less use of the dryer means less electrical costs.
2. If you dry the clothes for a few minutes first, they (supposedly) won't feel so crusty.
3. The sun is apparently a good bleaching agent, which might help me get rid of some of the stains that have accumulated in most of our white and light clothing. (It just is too much effort to treat and/or scrub every stain on every shirt twice a week.)

So, today I scrounged up some scrap fiber optic cable (it has tensile strength of over 100 lbs as opposed to the 20 or 30 that makes cat5e stretch), tied it between the stair railing and our Little Tykes slide, borrowed our neighbor's clothes pins (I do think I own some, I just don't know where they are), and put out some whites. Unfortunately, the sun isn't out in all its bright glory, so I don't think I'll get its full stain-removing effect this time around. Oh well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A CLOTHESLINE

A clothesline was a news forecast
To neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link;
For neighbors always knew
If company had stopped by
To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the fancy sheets
And towels on the line;
You'd see the tablecloths
With their intricate design.

The line announced a baby's birth
To folks who lived inside;
As brand new infant's clothes were hung
So carefully with pride.

The ages of the children could
So readily be known.
By watching how the sizes changed
You'd know how much they'd grown.

It also told when illness struck,
As extra sheets were hung.
Then nightclothes and a bathrobe too,
Haphazardly were strung.

It said, "Gone on vacation now!"
When the lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged
With not an inch to spare.

New folks in town were scorned upon
If their wash was dingy gray;
As neighbors raised their brows
And looked disgustedly away.

But clotheslines now are of the past,
For dryers make work less.
Today what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess.

I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign;
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line.

Anonymous said...

That poem is great!

Okay, two things: our clothes are so crusty! I don't like that at all! We don't have a dryer here and our house is very humid. When it rains and we have to dry our stuff on the rack indoors, it takes days.

Second thing: I left the laundry out drying overnight and when I was taking down the last piece, I discovered a HUGE spider with its egg sack all woven into the sleeve of Little Girl's shirt. SO DISGUSTING. I'm not typically afraid of spiders, but this was huge! And in a baby shirt! I killed it and felt jittery in the yard for days. They have all sorts of terrifying spiders here that are rumored to jump out of the ground and the drains and bite children with deadly venom. Ugh. Anyway, shake your clothes out well!

Anonymous said...

Maybe clothes lines are most effective in the dry West where the wind blows and blows!...(We have wind generators here in Montana to help ease the power crunch.) I don't remember thinking that towels seemed stiff in my youth; I know we didn't bathe as much as people do now, and probably we all used the same towel, which softened it up a bit....:)
Ma N.