Saturday, May 3, 2008

Opinons, Please

Now that the mudding of the drywall is well underway, painting time is coming nigh. Chris and I are in disagreement as to how to paint this lovely new space of ours. Thankfully, we have yet to come to blows over the matter. I would like to ask for your opinions.


This view shows the "closets" and the stairs. (We are planning on finding some vintage doors that match the rest of the doors in the house and hanging them as sliding doors for the closets. A dresser will sit between the two closets.)

The main debate we are having is: do we paint the both the ceiling and the slants white, or bring color up higher? The side walls are only 5 feet high, and I am concerned that painting the slants white will make the room look 'short'. Chris thinks that if we paint the slants a color, it will make the room look 'smaller'. I would love to have a darker color on the bottom, a mid tone on the slants, and the lightest color on the ceiling, but maybe that is asking too much of my hard-working husband, and would be difficult to pull off, since there aren't the sharp, straight lines to follow on our gimpy ceiling that would make that look great. We also could just do a really light neutral color for the whole thing, and/or maybe throw some color up on the sides of the closets and end walls for some variance...

Anyway, I would love some input. I'm supposed to decide by the time he has it all primed, which gives me about a week...

4 comments:

Al said...

all neutral with color on accent walls by the closets... you know, little walls where you could put up a piece of art and have it look like you intentionally wanted to make the wall behind it special... two different colors on the ceiling and 5 ft. walls of an "imperfect" old house is too much i think.

my two cents :-)

it looks awesome by the way.

Lori said...

Ooooh. I'm with Al. When I read neutral color with accents I got really excited.

Shyla said...

I'm with Al and Lori :o)
It does look great, very exciting!

Rachel Lee said...

It's probably too late, but I would go with one color on the side walls, slants and ceiling - doesn't have to be too neutral if you like color (for which I think you are awesome!) - a pale blue or yellow for example - and then an accent color on one end wall (or both) and another on the closet walls, and put the end wall color inbetween where the dresser is going. I agree w/ al on avoiding the imperfections. I wish I had done something diff. w/my bonus rm, where I brought in a dark color but left the slants and ceiling light. It comes across awkward to the eye.