Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Garden Update

Last week, I decided to quit moping over my failure of a garden and do something to salvage it. I dug up all the starts of washed-out lettuce that came up in all their random places, and replanted them into nice little rows. I started to put down some leaves from the compost bin in the hopes that will keep the weeds down a bit. I replaced one of my tomato plants that had been nibbled to its stalk by some unknown creature (and I have one more back-up in case another gets eaten). I also planted some carrot seed, in spite of my fear that I was starting them too late, and am seeing little, green, cotelydon, carrot hairs poke through the soil.

I had ordered some blue corn seed that was supposed to be good eating off the cob, but they cancelled the order on me, citing low germination rates. However, my mother sent me some Mandan corn that she grew from seed given to her by her cousin. I am excited that I got a replacement, and can't wait to try it.


I should be outside planting my cucumbers, hoeing up the already-prolific weeds, and putting down more leaves while Joe is napping, but figured I'd take a minute to relax in the cool of our basement (as it is already 80+F here) and show off my lettuce.

No comments: