Thursday, May 15, 2008

Two Months vs. Two Days

A friend of mine is due in two days. Every couple of days, when I see that she has put up a new post, I keep hoping it might be a post from the hospital with a photo of a newly emerged baby. But no...

I have two months to go. I shouldn't be complaining yet. But I will. Just a little.

Inevitably, in the middle of the night about 3:30 am, I have to go to the bathroom. Usually, I am in the middle of a dream in which I end up realizing I need to find a bathroom, and there are none available. I wake up, and lie in groggy denial for a while before I hoist myself out of bed. Then I climb the stairs, walk through the kitchen and the hallway to the bathroom, keeping my eyes half shut in the hopes I won't really wake up that much. By the time I get back downstairs, and get resituated in bed, the baby wakes up and decides to poke around in there for a while. By the time she is quiet again, I am wide awake, and don't fall back asleep until just before Chris's alarm goes off at 5:15. Then Joe decides to wake up sometime between 5:15 and 6:00. Not nice.

Last night I decided to treat myself to a bath. I was only disturbed once. It made me want one of those deep, claw-foot tubs that looks so relaxing in the commercials. Somehow, these shallow, squarish ones always feel a little awkward. I sat back and poured warm water over the mound too big to be submerged, enjoying the buoyancy and weird feeling of less pressure on my back. Then I decided to stay in the tub while I let the water drain. As the water level dropped, I felt myself getting heavier, and heavier, ... and heavier... and I began to worry that I was stuck in the bottom of the tub and would have to yell for Chris to come pull me out. I have new sympathy for beached whales.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Wendy, this had me lauging and missing you! I wish I could see you expanding. Thanks for the picture!

So sorry you're awake in the night. So sorry Joe wakes up so early. So sorry you're starting to feel heavy.

You sure do look cute!

Lori said...

You make me laugh! I think you're only about 1/30 of the weight of a beached whale. I might have to check.