Monday, March 5, 2007

otitis media



Friday evening, after a week of battling some sort of bug, we noticed our younger snot-nosed kid messing with his ear. That, for those of you in blissful ignorance, is the telltale sign of an ear infection.

So Saturday morning, I loaded both snot-nosed kids into the van and took Joe in to see the doctor. He didn't like being messed with so I had to hold him down while the doc examined his ears. Joe screamed and fought so hard that the poor kid popped some capilaries in his face and came out with tiny red freckles all over his face.

Sure enough, Joe had an ear infection.

Fast forward to last night. 3 am, I awoke hearing a distressed little voice saying, 'Daddy, daddy, daddy...' Chris went to check on her. A few minutes later, I heard, 'Mommy, mommy, mommy...' I went downstairs and gave her a drink of water. Another minute later, 'Whimper, whimper.' I went back downstairs again. 'My ear hurts. Can you kiss it?' 11 am, at the doctors again.

So we have two kids with ears infections, and Joe hates the medicine. I just discovered that the only way to get it in him is to kneel down over top of him so that his head is trapped between my knees and he can't move. Then I shove the dropper as far back in his cheek as I can and squirt in little bits at a time so that he's forced to swallow it and can't spit much of it out. What fun.

Finley, on the other hand, is starting to make up excuses to take medicine. That worries me...

No comments: